The Ghana Integrity Initiative (GII) as part of efforts at promoting anti-corruption in public life launched and instituted biennial integrity awards in Ghana dubbed the ‘Ghana Integrity Awards’ (GIAWARDS) in 2019. The inaugural GIAwards recognized the efforts of outstanding individuals and public sector institutions upholding personal and professional integrity and undertaken initiatives aimed at reducing corruption in Ghana within the award timelines.
Five categories of awards were presented during the inaugural awards including; Policy & Administrative Reforms Category, Transparency & Social Accountability Category, Efficient public Service Delivery Category, Effective Internal Controls Enforcement Category, and Integrity Personality of the Year
In 2021, the GIAwards in addition to recognizing outstanding individuals and public sector institutions making a significant contribution to the fight against corruption in Ghana will also recognize private sector institutions (small – large scale) applying integrity standards and effective corruption prevention mechanisms within their institutions and the country as a whole.
- To use Awards as an incentive to influence positive behaviour in Ghana.
- To provide an emotional reward to individuals and organization doing the "right things” with integrity.
- To provide genuine incentives for public institutions and individuals to demonstrate their anti-corruption and integrity efforts.
- To highlight positive actions/initiatives of public institutions and individuals against the corruption fight.
- To erect good role models for the guidance of the rest of society, and to serve as a sharp contrast to behaviors considered detrimental to the country's progress.